BMW i3 & i8 Apple CarPlay Activation Retrofit
BMW Apple CarPlay Activation Retrofit.
All vehicles factory fitted with the Professional Navigation (609 option code) NBT Evo ID5, ID6 or MGU head units could benefit from this retrofit.
Benefits of Apple CarPlay at a glance:
- Lets you use iPhone apps on your BMW’s iDrive screen.
- Connects your iPhone wirelessly to the BMW iDrive system.
- Utilises your vehicles factory installed microphone for Siri’s voice commands.
- Full digital audio playback through the BMW stereo system.
- Use of Google or Apple maps on your vehicle’s display.
Before we start, your vehicle needs to be manufactured September 2016 or later with a Professional wide screen navigation (609 option code). If your vehicle does not fit this criteria then sadly we cannot offer this service for your car. The good news is, if these prerequisites have been met then it’s possible that it’s already fitted with most of the hardware necessary to run Apple CarPlay.
We really need to stress this point, the navigation system of your car must be factory fitted and one of the following (this is not optional and there is no work around, if it doesn’t have one of these head units factory installed then sadly we cannot offer you this retrofit):
- Professional Navigation NBT Evo ID5.
- Professional Navigation NBT Evo ID6.
- Professional Navigation MGU (G-Series).
We would then check to see if your vehicle has the following features, if it doesn’t we will supply fit / code them within the the retrofit cost.
- Wifi antenna to headunit.
- Option 6NS enhanced bluetooth.
The cost of the full CarPlay retrofit is £299 inc VAT. This includes all of the required coding, FSC codes & the additional Wifi antenna (if required).
Just for completeness of this article: BMW designed CarPlay to be run in split screen (this is how BMW designed the system so the retrofit will follow suit). We can provide the option of full screen CarPlay by updating the vehicles iDrive firmware to the latest BMW software version then modifying this version. If you vehicle is later than 2019, we will enable this option (if requested) for free, earlier vehicles will require a update which is charged at an additional cost.
This is not a critical upgrade, this is an option. This upgrade is only for those that wish for complete full screen CarPlay. It carries it’s own cost for earlier (2019 and earlier) of £119.52 inc VAT.