BMW Motorrad Coding & Retrofits
Every control unit on your motorcycle is coded with your vehicles specified information when it leaves the BMW factory. This procedure writes the chassis number, vehicle order (VO), vital vehicle data and user settings into each control unit.
If a control unit fails and requires replacement, this would then require coding to your vehicle. This process allows the vehicle to identify, recognise and use a newly fitted control unit and restore operation of the replaced part.
When retrofitting some genuine accessories from BMW the motorcycle will require recoding to allow the retrofitted part to function. Often BMW will offer an option at factory level but state it is impossible to retrofit on a used motorcycle, this is where we can help as we offer the appropriate coding to add these so called ‘impossible options’.
Coding can also be used to activate new functions or adapt a motorcycle option that a rider would prefer, for example:
- Change the ambient temp from °C to °F and visa versa (Outside temperature display – Degrees Celsius / Degrees Fahrenheit).
- Change clock from 12hrs to 24hrs.
- Retrofit of LED rear light unit (to avoid LAMP fault on dash).
- Retrofit LED indicators (to avoid LAMP fault on dash).
- Retrofit of genuine anti-theft alarm system.
- Retrofit of genuine heated grips.
- Active time, alarm system LED (on some models, to reduce battery strain).
- Odometer from Km to Mls.
- Turn signal cancelling – 10 second / 15 seconds / 20 seconds / distance traveled.
The cost of our BMW Motorrad coding service is £83.00 + VAT.
None of the listed options will affect your BMW warranty. We would require the motorcycle for 1 working day to complete any of these coding services. If you have any motorcycle specific coding questions, please give one of our team a call.